As some of you may already know, normal operation of Kazrog LLC has been adversely affected by the Thomas Fire currently burning in California. As a one-man company, I’ve been able to keep prices low and quality high by maintaining a streamlined workflow and focusing on making products that (individually) do one thing well. The downside of being a lone developer, of course, is that if things go wrong, it can derail the entire operation.
At this point in time, my family and I are safe – we’ve evacuated inland and are visiting relatives who have been kind enough to provide us with a place to stay. My servers are redundant and in another state, so the Kazrog website is working flawlessly as always.
Active development, however, has been paused for the time being. I’ve not been able to bring my core build machines with me – only my laptop with minimal tools installed. Rural Internet service is literally broken – not due to the fire, but due to the lack of any kind of meaningful regulation of Internet service in this country. Accordingly, I’m having to tether to my cell phone at $10 USD / GB to get to the cloud, which of course I’m doing sparingly.
The development timeline for KClip 3 was aggressive from the outset, and the setback created by the fire will almost certainly delay the release of the plugin until February. I’m doing my best to work around this so that valuable time isn’t lost – as I know many of you are eagerly anticipating the release. In the future, I may target an entire quarter for release as opposed to only a month-long target. The worst-case scenario, then, is that I release something earlier than anticipated (as happened with ValvEQ.)
I appreciate everyone’s kind words of concern. I consider myself very lucky at this time – there are a lot of people (many who are also in the music industry) who have been much more heavily impacted by this disaster, and I feel fortunate that my family and I are safe and comfortable.
So, until further notice, I’m going to focus on spending time with my family and staying out of the smoke. I’ll post another update once things are mostly back to normal.